Do you want to increase your Alexa rank? To some people their Alexa rank means everything. To others it means very little. My opinion? I think it’s a great indicator of how well your website is doing. The higher you rank the more exposure your site is getting which means it has a lot more chance of being profitable (which is something that nearly every website owner is aiming for).
1. Download the Alexa toolbar and use it every day to visit your own website. On the download page there is also the option to install as a statusbar, which I’d probably recommend over the toolbar as it is less invasive and it gives you the rank of every website you visit to help spark your interest in the battle for rankings.
2. Create interesting and inspiring content on your website and submit it to websites such as StumbleUpon.com or Delicious.com – sites like this will send a lot of traffic your way if your article is something that people will be interested in reading.
3. Hire forum posters to advertise your website by including a link in their signatures or promoting specific articles or material from your website on a regular basis. You can easily people for hire at Digital Point and other webmaster forums. A cheap alternative may be to scour Fiverr to see if anyone is providing the services – if not you can always submit a request to pay people $5 for the service you are after.
4. Be consistent. There are very few websites that will have a high rank on Alexa that don’t get updated on a regular basis. Aim to write a certain number of articles per day or per week and try to stick to it. The more quality articles that you post on a regular basis will help with your search engine visibility and it’ll help you to get more people to your site (who will hopefully have the Alexa toolbar installed).
5. Get listed on as many search engines as possible – the more places your website can be found the more likely you are to get more visitors. If a fraction of these visitors have the Alexa toolbar installed then your rating will shoot up. You can even place a free listing in DMOZ which is the largest human-edited directory on the Internet. A word of warning though, it can take upto 6 months for your listing to be added to the site, but submitting your URL to this directory will be worth the wait.
These are just 5 basic steps – there are many more things that you can do to increase your Alexa rank, but if you focus on delivering high-quality content on a regular basis and submitting your website to directories such as DMOZ then you’ll have some great visibility that should help your rank to increase nicely.
You should also try to focus on SEO, as this will go hand-in-hand with the steps above and will help you to dominate the search engines and get more visits or sales.
Image Credit: Manoel Lemos